Emily's Journey through Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma. Please check back often as we will update as often as we can.

Emily's Journey's Most Recent Facebook Post

Showing posts with label gofundme. Show all posts
Showing posts with label gofundme. Show all posts

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with Update

Merry Christmas from The Hubbel  Family!




A couple days before Christmas, the ASK Childhood Cancer Foundation Holiday party was going on. Sue was here, so we went and Emily and Brianna had a great time, Jessie was at her dads that day, so she wasn't able to go. But we had a good time and it was nice because Emily was more involved this year compared to last years ASK Holiday party.

Emily started Day 1 Avastin the day after Christmas. She did really well with that,but it was a super long day at the clinic and Emilys platelets were at 29 , so she also required a transfusion. We were also told that her HMA/VMA were starting to creep up, so we really need to make decisions on what is next. Dr Sholler has emailed Chrystal Luois in Texas, so we are waiting to hear from her in what our next steps are and Dad and I are looking at trials in New York, St Jude and pretty much anything out there.


Happy New Year!!!




Our goal for the new year is still to bring Emily to NED. We know that we can't stop treatment and neither of her doctors here or in Michigan recommend stopping treatment. It's really just determining what we think is best next. Her doctor here thinks high dose chemo and her doctor in Michigan recommends DFMO, but she has been wanting us to do that each time. The other issue with starting a new treatment plan, is Emilys platelets... They have not been over 50 in a very long time, I honestly couldn't tell you the last time.


Emily had clinic yesterday just to check counts and platelets were at 29 again. She actually required a transfusion, but because they were closing early, have asked that she come back Friday for counts again to see if she is maintaining. She has two more days of chemo. It Is going well, but she isn't eating much.  She has lost a little bit of weight again, but we are at least 10 lbs up from where we were last year at this time. Day 15 avastin is next Thursday and we are still waiting to hear from Michigan on scan dates. At this point we are figuring out next plan...


Emily had a nice Christmas and stayed up late last night to watch the ball drop. 


Happy New Year!


#neuroblastomasucks #emilysjourney


www.gofundme.com/emilysjourney

Available to make donations via Emilys page

Mailing do donation to Dominion Credit Union to Emily Hubbels Account


Thank you again for your continue thoughts, prayers, love and donations, they mean more than you can imagine. Thank you for the Christmas cards, and those who sent gifts and love. Every bit helps so much, the prayers and love mean so much and for continuing to be part of her 3 year journey 

Friday, November 15, 2013

What Does the Fox Say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!


This has been in my head ever since yesterday morning when Emily was in her scan. She was having a hard time sitting there and her toes were bothering her, so I was trying to get her mind off of it. So she wanted to hear "What Does The Fox Say?" One of her nurses helping with the MIBG scan, actually dressed up as What Does The a Fox Say, so she was excited to hear her favorite song. Lol. Daddy and Brianna packed up the van while Emily was in her scan, so that when we were done meeting with Dr Sholler we could just leave. 

Emilys counts were checked again since her hemoglobin dropped so much from last week, but yesterday they were 8.7, so they did drop, but not enough to require a blood transfusion. We haven't seen her hemoglobin drop that much since May when she needed a transfusion. So we are hoping that it goes up on her own.  But also waiting to hear from Dr Gowda if we need to come in early next week. 

So, the results. I know everyone has been waiting for the results, but we didn't leave Michigan till about 215pm yesterday, so we didn't get to Pittsburgh until about 9 and honestly we were all exhausted, needing to eat dinner and daddy and Brianna not feeling well.  

HMA and VMA were within normal range,  not sure about LDH but no one said anything. Scan results show stable, meaning no new spots. The results Show avidity in right skull base near the soft tissue abnormality on CT. (We have never had anything show on the CT so this is new, but not new because shows on MIBG).  Increased activity along the floor of the bilateral middle cranial fossae and proximal left femur. All the other previous spots that she had before are still there with no change. 

What does this tell us? It says that the current regimen that Emily is on is no longer working and only keeping her stable. Which is obviously what we want, keeping it stable. But I have to be honest we wanted more than that, we have always wanted more than that. We also know it's no longer working when some of her spots are brighter than they were before.

So what can we do moving forward?
**DFMO (we will have to go back to Michigan and get a PET scan and a bone marrow biopsy. Have to be within 14 days of starting the compassionate trial of DFMO, scans still in Michigan)
**a new chemo cocktail: doxorubicin with vorinstat (not sure if we would have do round 1 in Michigan and then can come home to do the remaining rounds, scans still in Michigan)
**check on a TCell Vaccine in Texas through Crystal Luis to see if Emily would qualify
**check with Dr Modak on 3f8 (in NYC)
**see what Dr Gowda has available but scans are still in Michigan
**another round of current regimen since it keeps her stable

We really have no idea what we want to do moving forward. Obviously our goal is still NED. Both Dr Sholler and Dr Gowda do not recommend not doing anything at this time. When Emily was first diagnosed there was no trying to figure out what trial to put her on or what was next because there was a protocol already set for us. There is no longer a protocol anymore and now as parents you just have to decide what is the next best course.  What are you willing to put your child through and mor traveling or what have you. We don't have a plan, we will meet with Dr Gowda on Thursday at 9 to discuss what our possible next moves are. It's a possibility she could lose her hair again, so we would need to prepare school, her classmates ands letters home to parents of her class if we go this route. So we have already started telling Emily about this. So we will need to get hats again if we go this route.

Please don't get us wrong, stable is great in the grand scheme of things. What we didn't want was progression of more spots, thankfully that didn't happen. But our hearts want so much more than stable. Emily wants more than stable. We just don't have an end in sight yet. Isn't 3 years enough of battling with this stupid disease. But we are thankful that Emily is our fighter and handles it all so well. She is such a big girl and wise above her age.

Once we have a plan, we will update. We will take Emily to clinic earlier than Thursday if Emilys energy levels go down or bruising.


Thank you for continuing to keep us in your hearts, thoughts, love and prayers. Thank you for all those who wore Emily gear and shared it with us and thank you for continuing to help us though our journey with thoughts, love, prayers, gas cards and donations. They mean so much and help with our Journey and our continuing journey. Our friend started a gofundme to help with travels, expenses and other needs: http://www.gofundme.com/EmilysJourney
if you are interested. 

Make sure to hug and kiss your kids and tell them how much you love them. 


Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Exhaustion / Long Day


We got into Michigan around 9 last night and was thankful to be in a room at the Renucci House with a kitchen. Had a late dinner with Emily working on homework and then off to bed. Brianna and daddy aren't feeling well and I am with a sore throat but not other symptoms. (Thankfully!)

   

After a late night, Emily had a long day in clinic. She was accessed and thankfully on the first time. By time labs were back, it was already past time of going to get MIBG injection, so they were coming to the infusion room. Emilys hemoglobin took a huge drop from 10.9 on Thursday of last week to 8.8 today. WOW! Platelets were 29, so she needed platelets.  Just an extremely long day. Today for the first time Emily played with the childlife here in Michigan and she had a good time, but as many times as we have been here Emily has ever played with her. So that was nice. After a long day, we ar back in the Renucci House and Emily had a snack and she is already asleep. 

Tomorrow we have another long day. They want to check he counts again and MIBG scan is tomorrow and then we meet with Dr Sholler.  Please wear your Emily gear, saying a thought, love, prayers for stable or even better, 

Anxiety is awful here and dad and I have lots of anxiety.  Ready for this to be over. 

Make sure you hug and kiss your kids and tell them how much you love them.

  
Oh, we also had a very wonderful person start a gofundme.com for Emily. If you would like to help out that would be awesome and very helpful. Here is the link: http://www.gofundme.com/emilysjourney